Philips Respironics Review (with Costs)
Since it begun in 1891, Philips has become a reputable global leader providing innovative health technology. Under the Respironics umbrella, Philips provide numerous health and medical products, for example portable oxygen concentrators.
What drives Philips?
Behind the products and services at Philips they are led by three core beliefs that are quality customer-focused products and services, the use of environmentally and socially responsible programs and complying with the highest industry standards.
Chronic Obtrusive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
According to the Philips Respironics website, COPD is a global issue. Estimates are that 201 million people worldwide are affected by it and it is considered the fourth leading cause of death.
COPD refers to numerous lung conditions which have negative implications on your ability to breathe. Examples are emphysema and bronchitis.
Although heart-breaking to note, there is no cure for COPD and in fact it can be to an extent out of your control as genetics play a part in the development of COPD. However, there are many treatments available to you which can effectively manage the symptoms of COPD and slow the progression of it down so that you can continue to enjoy your life in whichever way you see fit.
Philips own recommendations are oxygen concentrators, nebulizers and daily COPD management.
Portable oxygen concentrators
An essential tool for enhancing one’s health, oxygen concentrators provide medical grade oxygen through compressing and filtering the surrounding air. This can be done through two options, either pulse-dose delivery or continuous flow.
Which option you use is dependent on you and your level of dependence for oxygen therapy. If you are less active, the continuous flow would be more suitable for you whilst if you lead a more physically active lifestyle, then the pulse-dose is the ideal selection for you.
Providing they have power, there is no restriction on the amount of oxygen it can supply. It is unlimited.
As the name suggests, portable oxygen concentrators are portable which means they are lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.
Courtesy of the Department of Transportation, in 2009 it was declared that any airline passengers who require oxygen therapy are permitted to use a portable oxygen concentrator on any flight on the proviso that the portable oxygen concentrator is FAA-approved. With Philips Respironics you are in luck as both the SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini have been approved the FAA.
The SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini
Both the SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini from Philips Respironics are portable oxygen concentrators. With similar features, yet subtle differences in the two products, you can select the product most suited to you. An outline of all packages for the two products are below as well as further information on each portable oxygen concentrator:
- Silver Package – The perfect starter package, this option comes with a 60-day trial and three year warranty.
- Gold Package – A development of the Silver Package, you get access to additional battery power and Lifetime Limited Warranty on your portable oxygen concentrator. You can also use the Philips Oxygen Experts for further care support.
- Platinum Package – In short, this is the Gold Package, but with greater bonuses. You also receive Lifetime Limited Warranty on your device, battery replacement and accessories.
This portable oxygen concentrator gives you the choice of three different oxygen modes, continuous, pulse and sleep. As the name suggests, the device is portable and simple to use, both when constructing and deconstructing the device as well as mode settings being touch compliant.
- Silver Package – $2,595
- Gold Package – $3,595
- Platinum Package – $4,095 Best Value
When selecting the SimplyGo, the journey does not end there. There is a whole heap of accessories available for you to personalise and get the most out of your SimplyGo. The selection of accessories is below:
- Best Value Accessory Bundle – $517.41
- Lithium Ion Battery – $259.95
- External Battery Charger – $314.95
- Mobile Cart – $129.95
- DC Power Supply – $99.95
- AC Power Supply – $79.95
- Accessory Bag – $79.95
- Carrying Case – $49.95
- Humidifier Connecting Tube Kit and Pouch – $32.50
- Starter Cannula Kit – $72.95
- 4-Foot Cannula Kit (Single Cannula) – $24.99
- 7-Foot Cannula Kit (Single Cannula) – $24.99
The tank-free device is both lightweight and manoeuvrable and yet it still delivers to a high standard, lasting up to nine hours as well as having extended battery. As well as the SimplyGo, the Mini is also touch screen, simple to use, and very attractively it can be recharged “anywhere”, emphasising how easy it is to do so. The device comes with five different pulse dose settings to leave you in the most bespoke comfort.
- Silver Package – $2,495
- Gold Package – $3,495
- Platinum Package – $3,995 Best Value
As featured with the SimplyGo, the SimplyGo Mini also comes with many accessories and bundles that are available to you, to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for. The optional accessories are below:
- Best Value Accessory Bundle – $854.87
- Lightweight Best Value Accessory Bundle – $665.87
- Battery & Backpack Accessory Bundle – $522.41
- Lightweight Battery & Backpack Accessory Bundle – $322.91
- Extended Rechargeable Battery – $469.95
- External Battery Charger – $399.95
- Standard Rechargeable Battery – $259.95
- AC Power Supply – $99.95
- Car Charger (DC Power Supply) – $79.95
- Backpack – $79.95
- Starter Cannula Kit – $25.95
- 4-Foot Cannula Kit (Single Cannula) – $5.99
- 7-Foot Cannula Kit (Single Cannula) – $5.99
Comparing the SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini – The Facts
|Weight||4.5kg||2.3kg – 2.7kg|
|Battery Duration||0.9 hours – 3 hours (depending on setting chosen)||Up to 4.5 hours (standard battery)|
Up to 9 hours (extended battery)
|Settings||6 pulse dose settings||5 pulse dose settings|
|Travel||FAA compliant||FAA compliant|
|Accessories||External battery charger||External battery charger Backpack|
What is to like about Philips Respironics?
There is a lot to like about Philips and reasons for selecting their products as opposed to others. A selection of those reasons can be found below:
- Multiple packages for each product.
- Array of accessories to suit you.
- Bundle packages available to make the buying process easier.
- Designs are lightweight.
- Both the SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini portable oxygen concentrators are approved for travel on airplanes.
- 24/7 usage.
- The external battery is simple to use, remove, recharge and if required, replace.
- 60-day trial available with all packages.
- Depending on your package, you may be eligible for Lifetime Limited Warranty.
- The FAA have approved the SimplyGo and SimplyGo Mini for air travel.
What is not to like about Philips Respironics?
- Ensure you avoid open flames and cigarettes while using the portable oxygen concentrator as the oxygen is highly flammable.
- Not recommended for use in either small rooms or unventilated rooms.
- If there is a power outage, then there is no oxygen if the batteries discharge.
- It is an unnecessarily complicated website. The whole process of finding and even buying the equipment is wholly difficult.
Private insurance coverage
Private insurance usually covers portable oxygen concentrators as they are prescribed as durable medical equipment. However, in some circumstances, private insurance may only cover basic equipment. It is essential that you check with your private insurer for clarity before deciding to move forward with Philips Respironics.
What to do if you have any problems
If you have any issues using the equipment, there are manuals, downloads and how-to videos you can use for reference online. You can also contact their customer service team who will be more than happy to help you.
When faced with COPD you may feel challenged mentally and physically with what lies ahead of you, but that does not mean that you are unable to take control of your life and keep your COPD in check. Amongst a healthy lifestyle and exercise, you can use portable oxygen concentrators. With Philips Respironics you are faced with a reputable brand name and ever innovative technology. They provide life enhancing portable oxygen concentrators which are lightweight and travel friendly. Their options cater for both active and passive lifestyles.